Cutting clip-in hair extensions requires a bit of skill and the right tools to ensure they blend seamlessly with your natural hair. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Tools You’ll Need:
- Sharp Scissors: Hairdressing scissors are best.
- Comb: A fine-tooth comb for precision.
- Clips: To section off hair.
- Mannequin Head (Optional): Helpful for easier handling and more accurate cutting.
Steps to Cut Clip-In Hair Extensions:
- Wash and dry the extensions as you would with natural hair.
- If you’re using a mannequin head, attach the extensions to it. Otherwise, lay them flat on a clean surface.
- Measure and Plan:
- Decide the length you want. It’s advisable to start longer; you can always cut more if needed.
- If you’re cutting them while wearing, have a mirror handy to check the back.
- Section and Clip:
- Section the hair where you plan to wear the extensions.
- Clip the rest of your hair up and out of the way.
- Attach the Extensions:
- Attach the extensions as you would normally wear them.
- Ensure they’re secure and lying flat against your head.
- Start by trimming the ends to your desired length.
- For blending, hold the scissors vertically and lightly snip into the extensions. This technique, known as point cutting, gives a more natural, blended look.
- Work in small sections and be conservative with how much you cut off.
- Check and Adjust:
- After the initial cut, check the length and layering.
- Make adjustments as needed, keeping the cuts minimal to avoid taking off too much length.
- Style and Blend:
- Style the extensions with your natural hair (curling or straightening) to see how well they blend.
- Make any final trims for blending if necessary.
- Practice First: If you’re new to cutting hair, practice on an old pair of extensions.
- Go Slow: Take your time and cut in small increments.
- Consider Professional Help: If you’re unsure, consider taking your extensions to a professional hairstylist.
Remember, once cut, you can’t go back, so it’s better to be cautious and cut less initially. You can always trim more if needed.